The Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International (PATH Intl.) promotes equine-assisted activities and therapies (EAAT) for individuals with special needs. PATH Intl. members around the globe help children and adults—including more than 6,700 veterans and active-duty military personnel—with physical, cognitive and emotional challenges find strength and independence through the power of the horse each year.
In addition to therapeutic riding, our centers offer a number of therapeutic equine-related activities, including hippotherapy, equine-facilitated mental health, driving, interactive vaulting, competition, groundwork and stable management. More recently, programs offer services in human growth and development to serve wide-ranging audiences for such educational purposes as leadership training, team building and other human capacity enhancement skills for the workplace and for daily use.
As a membership association, PATH Intl. is the credentialing organization for accrediting centers and certifying instructors and equine specialists. Through our certification and accreditation programs, plus a wide variety of educational resources, the association helps members start and maintain successful EAAT programs. There are nearly 5,000 credentialed professionals and 7,900 equines at more than 850 PATH Intl. Member Centers inspiring and enriching the human spirit.
PATH Intl. leads the advancement of professional equine-assisted activities and therapies by supporting our members and stakeholders through rigorously developed standards, credentialing and education.
To ensure universal recognition of professional equine-assisted activities and therapies and their transformative impacts that enrich lives.
- Access and inclusion – promoting diversity and opportunity in equine-assisted activities and therapies.
- Compassion and caring – providing a culture of safety, understanding and ethical treatment of humans and horses engaged in equine-assisted activities and therapies.
- Cooperation and collaboration – connecting and partnering with those who share the PATH Intl. vision in a mutually beneficial manner.
- Education – sharing valued knowledge with our constituents to facilitate their success.
- Excellence – promoting quality in all undertakings.
- Innovation – encouraging and supporting creativity, inquiry and cutting-edge research.
- Integrity and accountability – ensuring that all business is based on ethical principles and conducted with transparency.
- Professionalism - enhancing the value and credibility of the industry.
- Service - providing effective and responsive information and programs to our constituents.
- Holism - promoting an awareness of body, mind and spirit in equine-assisted activities and therapies.